Sunday, June 24, 2018

Day 2 Alaska Caravan

The only thing on our itinerary today was a group photo at 1pm at the Mile 0 Sign, where the AlCan highway began. 

 I had several chores to take care of ie laundry, going to the market and cleaning so Gary went to the Walter Wright Village adjacent to the Mile 0 RV Park alone.  I felt I was in a foreign land (?), at the market, the grocery baskets were chained together, I felt foolish but had to ask the closest checker how to get a basket.  She said you need a "loonie", okay now I'm really puzzled.  She called me over to the check out lane to give me a gold colored coin.  Okay, now what.  There's a slot to put the coin in that releases the chain.  Ok.  Did my shopping, went to pay, they only take Master Card.  My total was $68 Canadian.  Okay I only have Visa, only $50 in Canadian, it didn't occur to me to pay with American so the checker said she'd hold my basket and sent me to an ATM up the street.  I did that, came back then was puzzled how to get the coin out.  A helpful bag boy took the groceries  out to the car and returned the basket and "loonie".  I should have gone to Safeway.


Walter Wright was a local gentleman who started collecting in the mid 60's, and plans were made for a pioneer village. There were several homes, churches and schoolhouses either moved to this location or recreated.  Many cars, carriages, firetrucks etc were also on  display, several of them were in yesterdays parade around the RV park.  A local festival was going on this weekend at the park, many local groups played all day until 10pm.  

Before the group picture we visited the Visitor Center and Art Gallery located in a grain silo that had been moved close to the Mile 0 sign.  We saw a display of pictures from the construction of the AlCan highway along with oils and watercolors by local artists.  We also picked up a geo cache located in the Visitor Center.  

After a quick trip to Safeway for a few last minute things we readied the coach for our travel day tomorrow.  

That's it for today, we're off to Ft. Nelson tomorrow.  Enjoy the pic's.

TTFN,

Gary and Pam 

An old Log Cabin quilt in the Village

Quite an old stove

Dining room in one of the houses

Old firetruck that was in yesterdays parade

View from street of a church and some of the homes

One of the local bands playing at the festival

A collection of old sewing machines

The sanctuary in one of the churches

One of the school houses

Grain elevator (that was moved) and visitor center

Just the two of us before the group arrived

The group!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment