Sunday, October 27, 2013

A quiet week

We've had a quiet week and a busy week.  Over the weekend we just hung around the rv park here at Fort Sam Houston.  Saturday and Sunday we watched football and picked up a few caches.  Adjacent to the base there is a National Cemetery that covers acres and acres and acres.  Almost every day we pass thru there is a service or two happening.  We drove through part of it, a very moving experience.

Monday Gary and I had appointments with the dermatologist.  Gary just had a few spots frozen, no suspicious areas.  I have to have Mohs surgery on my face, after a biopsy in Salem in August I knew that I had to have it done.  We were able to see Dr. Owens, the doc the RN recommended at BAMC, they'd had cancellations so we were able to get in before the end of November.  Her partner Dr. Vogel is specially trained to do Mohs, named after the Dr. who developed the surgery.  Dr. Owens is a beautiful woman, impeccably dressed and accessorized.  She reminded me of a soap opera actress.  Dr. Vogel had a cancellation on Wed., I was were glad to get it done right away.
Tuesday we had to take Luci to the vet, she's had on and off Tijuana two step since she snagged the corn cob at Stacy's in the middle of Sept.  We Googled vets in our area, lucky enough to find a great one that didn't charge an arm and a leg.  She is doing well now.
Wednesday I had my "surgery", they numbed the area and incised an area bigger than the biopsy, then I waited in the lobby for the pathologists finding.  If she hadn't gotten it all she would have had to make a bigger incision.  All was good the first time, I went back for stitches, I asked Dr. Vogel how many stitches she's put in, she didn't know but her assistant said 13.  I thought this would be a breeze like the biopsy.  Wrong!  I felt woozy after, I was glad I hadn't driven myself to the appointment.  I felt crummy for about 3 days.  I look a bit like Frakenstein, I'm glad its Halloween.
Thursday  Gary went to the Alamo, he loves museums.  He did the audio tour and digested everything there is to know about the Alamo.
Friday  after lunch I was bored and restless.  We went back to the Alamo, I was able to just peruse it without making Gary nuts.  Later we went down to the Riverwalk again.  We found a historic little village that dates back to the 1800's.  We walked back to the river and happened upon an amphitheater.  On the other side of the river the Air Force Bank was giving a concert. It was so cool to watch the boats go by as we were sitting listening to the music.
Saturday and Sunday we watched football and picked up a few caches, we did go to the north part of town, we'd seen this area called Market Quarry so we wanted to investigate further. It is high end retail a little like Bridgeport or The Mill area in Bend.  Gary got three new t-shirts and a pair of shorts, I found a pair of sandals.  We went to Costco afterwards, we never seem to learn our lesson about going to Costco on a Sunday afternoon.
Last Saturday while Gary was vacuuming, he found an area that had been damaged in his accident last May that Robersons missed.  The awning had been bumped, causing leakage.  Of course the insurance company said it was up to the RV repair shop to take care of it, the claim was closed as far as they were concerned. Well we are over 2000 miles away and can't take it back in.  We have to get it fixed before we get into heavy rain again.  Tomorrow we are taking the coach to a RV repair shop here in San Antonio to get an estimate of how much it will cost to fix it.  To make matters worse, we changed insurance companies in September since our premium almost doubled after Gary's boo-boo.  I have a feeling we are going to get stuck with this bill.  Will keep you posted.
TTFN Gary and Pam  The first picture is of the ancient underwater sea in Carlsbad, sorry about the reflections, the next three area different area of the Riverwalk and the last one of course is the Alamo.




No comments:

Post a Comment